Search

Thursday 28 April 2011

I don’t attend award functions: Ajay Devgn

Check out interview of Ajay Devgan on the various topics as film Dil Toh Baccha Hai ji, Aarakshan, Power and not get awards.
How did you make a decision to do Madhur Bhandarkar’s ‘Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji’?
Filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar has a unbelievable approach to his movies, and I found my part very interesting. This movie is Madhur’s debut in comedy genre, but he has made it perfectly. The story is very simple, and is not a slapstick comedy. All the characters are very realistic – one can easily relate to them. It is a story about three friends of different lifestyle and terms, and how they come together. ‘Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji’ is a serious film – but on a comic note. It doesn’t have any buffoonery.

Tell us about your character in the movie?
I play a man who is in late thirties and is stuck in mid-life crisis. He is getting divorced; his career has hit a roadblock. And between all this, he meets a girl of early twenties, and romance starts ruling his heart once again.

What is your say on the reasonably younger starcast in the film?
They all are very unbelievable. Everyone has done a good job in the movie. I am paired opposite Shazahn Padamsee – who’s very talented and hardworking. Emraan Hashmi has done a great job – given the fact that this is his first full-fledged comedy film – he got his timing absolutely right, which is the basic necessity in a comedy film. Omi Vaidya is really impressive.

Year 2010 was very great for you in terms of money-making success. What are your aspirations this year?
Yes, I enjoyed success in 2010, and I am hopeful to repeat the same success run this year as well. I have tried to strike balance in the films that I have chosen for the year, and I am confident about their success. Starting with this comedy, I’ll be doing action films like ‘Tezz’ and ‘Singam’. ‘Singam’ is an official remake of a Tamil hit with the same title with Rohit Shetty as the director. We haven’t yet locked a title for it, so we keep calling it ‘Singam’. The movie has a fantastic mix of action, comedy, romance and drama. I have tried to maintain the balance as I want to do all genres of films, and only by the year-end I can say about how my films fare.

How do you get ready for action movies? Do you like action genre the most?
I start preparing myself one month before any action film goes on floors. As I said, I don’t concentrate on action movies only. I want to strike a right balance between all the genres. I even want to do slapstick comedies at times. And if you see, not much has changed in the action genre in India. Films have same action sequences which were done 20 years back. My father, Veeru Devgn (action director), keeps pointing me in different films – this is what he did 20 years ago. I select movies that have a good story to tell. Whatever a film may be – action, comedy or romance – it must have a story to tell. My major concentration while selecting films is the storyline.

What were the reasons for walking out from ‘Power’ and ‘Aarakshan’?
For ‘Aarakshan’, I never actually committed to take part in it. I went through the script and it was quite exciting. But I never committed to it. I don’t want to make the same mistake which I did in 2010. I signed movies one after another. I realized that I won’t have any time left for myself and my family. Regarding ‘Power’, I did give my consent. I called up the producers to tell them that I won’t be doing their film. They accepted, and I will be starring in one of their films to be made next. That we will work out. 

What is your say on awards? Are you unhappy that despite giving so many hits last year, you have been totally ignored? Are you eyeing the Oscars?
I don’t attend award functions. And I have no issues with organizers ignoring me for awards this year too. In reality, first they call up a star, and whoever confirms his presence in the function, they give the award to him. Regarding the Oscars, I don’t think we send the best of our movies for contention. There is a lot of politics around, many lobbies work to send movies that they like. There is a lot of cheating here. This is totally wrong! For example, ‘Devdas’ was sent to Oscars and ‘The Legend Of Bhagat Singh’ was ignored. I ask, what do we want to show at the international scale – a drunkard or a freedom fighter?

What do you think is essential for a film’s success?
Firstly, a movie should have a good story to tell. It needs a good producer and a proper release as well. Also, a filmmaker should understand that the Indian audience has a huge exposure to the international cinema, and if he’s building a character like Superman, he has to make sure that it is done in a better way than others. Films should definitely have a connect with the younger audience.

What were your expectations from ‘Toonpur Ka Superrhero’?Are you planning a sequel for it?
I had a lot of expectations with ‘Toonpur Ka Superrhero’. But unfortunately, it didn’t attract that many adults that I would have liked. But the kids loved it. As of now, I haven’t thought about its sequel.

Looking back at your 20-years career, which is your favourite character that you played on-screen?
I have learned a lot. I still think – I shouldn’t have done this film or that film. But that’s how it goes. You can’t always make good choices. Touchwood, I didn’t have to face too many lows in my career, and even if there was any, it didn’t last long. I connected a lot with Bhagat Singh – during the film, I kept thinking that how can one person be so bold and inspiring at such a tender age. And yes, if I look back I hate my hairstyle during the initial phases of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment