Search

Thursday 28 April 2011

I have no broblem in kissing and intimate scenes if convincing: Mahie Gill




After ‘Dev D’ we haven’t seen much of you. Any reason?
The very reason is that I was getting similar kind of roles and I didn’t want to be repetitive in my performances. I didn’t want to get stereotyped. I waited for the right scripts and I am happy to try my hand at different characters. Throughout last year I was busy shooting, I have four releases lined up this year.

Tell us about your forthcoming movies.
My movie ‘Paan Singh Tomar’ with Irrfan Khan should release this year. I have also done a comedy thriller ‘Utt Patang’, where I play a con woman with loud costume and makeup, it is releases soon. Then there is ‘Michael’ with Nasseruddin Shah; and ‘Sahib Biwi aur Gangster’ with Randeep Hooda and Jimmy Shergill.

So you have been choosy in picking projects?
Yes, I want to portray different and strong characters in good films that are why I take time to choose a project. Only if I am 100% sure about a script I will take it. I have been selective and I am lucky I am getting different kinds of scripts. I will pick films that excite me and not just the ones where I am required to look sleazy and do skin show.

Are you intentionally saying ‘no’ to films that require you to expose?
I never have the problem in essaying bold roles but it has to be justified, look convincing and treated aesthetically. For me, kissing or doing steamy scenes is also an emotion to portray on screen. It is part of my job and I take my work seriously. I want to make sure it doesn’t make me look vulgar and for that I have to trust my director. After ‘Dev D’, there were so many producers and directors who wanted me to just do steamy scenes on screen but I asked them to convince me first. Why should I do such a thing on screen? There has to be a reason and conviction.

This is the age of Munni and Sheila. You also did a hot item-song in ‘Mirch’ but sadly the movie and your song went ignored. What you say?
Yes, I did an item-song in Vinay Shukla’s movie ‘Mirch’ and it wasn’t publicized well. I don’t know the reason. Any actor would like his or her work to be shown nicely or marketed nicely. I also did an item-song with choreographer Ganesh Acharya for the movie ‘Knock Out’ which was completely deleted from the film. You feel bad but it’s not just your loss. The producer spends so much on such things; there must be some reason why few things never see the light of the day.
Do you think item-songs are trendy again? Are you doing any more item-songs?
Item-songs are fun and luckily many have become huge hits. But right now I am not doing any more item-songs. In future, may be.

You won so many awards for your debut act in ‘Dev D’. Did life change after that?
I lead a very normal life. I have the same set of friends even today. I am not a party animal or a Page 3 celeb. I am a very private person. People expect me to be seen at parties and events, at first I didn’t believe in this but my friends have convinced me that it is actually required to stay in the demand.

So you think being seen at the right place at the right time matters?
Yes, it is important. It was difficult for me to do this initially but I am trying now. I used to believe if I am good, the work will come to me irrespective of the fact which parties I attend. But people started thinking that I have an attitude. So I have started going out, meeting people. Those who know me know the fact that I can’t be showy. I am a normal girl and serious about my work.

Have you ever tried to mingle with people not known to you at parties in anticipation of work?
I have never done that. I believe in luck. If it is meant for me, it will come to me.

There are critics out there who write good and bad things about your performance and appearance. Do such things matter to you?
Yeah, it makes a lot of difference. If people who appreciated you earlier are commenting negatively then there is some problem. And why film and fashion critics? My mother, my borthers and my friends tell me if something was below the mark. I take criticism seriously and want to better my act.

No comments:

Post a Comment