Search

Thursday 30 June 2011

Raj Kapoor’s ‘Awara’ is the reason behind bollywood entry of Subhash Ghai!


Subhash Ghai credits Raj Kapoor's movie 'Awara' for his entry into Bollywood.
'In my childhood, I saw 'Awara' and I bunked from school. After that when I came home, my mom said: you were not at school? I told a lie and told: yeah, I was in school. After seeing that film I didn't go to school for three days... I wanted to be nothing but a filmmaker,'' Ghai said at a tribute to the legendary Raj Kapoor here organized by the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).
TIFF, which will hold a retrospective series called Raj Kapoor and the Golden Age of Indian Cinema from July 1 to August 7, honoured the Kapoor family at its headquarters here Sunday.
Ghai told he bunked classes to watch every Raj Kapoor film.
'Whenever a Raj Kapoor film came, I saw it... I wanted to be nothing but a filmmaker. So my hearty thanks to Raj Kapoor - a genius and great inspiration for many filmmakers like me,'' Ghai told.
Ramesh Sippy, director of Sholay, said Raj Kapoor had a tremendous influence on him.
Asked to describe him in one word, Sippy told, 'Love. Love thy name is Raj Kapoor.''
Sippy told, 'When Raj Kapoor saw Sholay, he told, I love your film, but you should have put a little more romance in it. I loved him for that.''
The Sholay director told Raj Kapoor's Shree 420 is his most favorite film.
'The film had everything. Its song 'Pyar hua, ikrar hua..' was absolutely brilliant... it (song) was done in the rain under an umbrella. My God, I have never felt love so strongly (after seeing that song scene),'' Sippy told.
Zeenat Aman, the leading lady of Raj Kapoor's many movies, recalled how she landed the role of Rupa in his movie 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram' opposite Shashi Kapoor.
'Raj Kapoor used to talk a great deal about Rupa on various days of shootings and I was totally mesmerized by what he told. It was my great desire and fervour to work (on that film) with the most brilliant showman of our industry,'' she told.
Since Rupa had a burnt face, Zeenat told she created a similar face by make-up and reached the RK Studios. 'When I knocked on the door, Raj Kapoor said: 'yes?' I told, Rupa. I am very happy to say that he was very impressed by my desire and passion for the project.''
She told she got not only the role of Rupa in 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram', but also a gold coin from the legend. 'I have that coin still with me. It was a memorable moment of my life,'' Zeenat remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment